Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall is in the Air

My mother turns 65 in November. For her birthday, we bought her a trip on the Zeppelin and she was supposed to go on Saturday. I was bummed because I had to work, so I couldn't see her go. After all, you don't ride on a Zeppelin just every day. This is a once in a lifetime thing, and I REALLY wanted to be there.

Well, the weather gods were on my side, and the trip was cancelled because of weather. Phew. Mom will re-schedule and I will request the day off. That's the trouble with retail, you HAVE to be there. Can't work from home, can't show up late, can't make up for what you need to do tomorrow. But, I like where I work, like what I do, like the stress-free life I have because I have no deadlines or unhappy students (or parents, or teachers, or employers, or administration). My previous jobs were full of that. You can't make everyone happy all the time, can you? I'll take this job ANY day!

On the farming front, we have starts:
Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, chard, brussel sprouts, cabbage. I need to transplant them into bigger containers and plant the next round of seeds. Before we can get things into the ground we need to add fertilizer (composted horse manure) into the ground and at the Barroness's farm we have to add 1/2 ton of green sand and some other stuff. But we can't do that until the summer crops are out. And some of what we have growing is still producing (tomatoes, basil, cukes, eggplant, winter squash, and in my backyard we have green beans....).
And it's supposed to be in the high 90's to 100's all week. NOT a good time for me to be out doing really heavy physical work. Yes, I am a lazy farmer. :-)

No comments: