Wednesday, July 1, 2009

First of the summer harvest

I get so excited when we begin to harvest and actually eat the food we've grown from seed. I've encouraged these little guys to grow, and sure enough... they do!



Here is the first harvest from Garden #2, the Mayor's garden (the carrots are from my backyard).

Tri-colored green beans - green, yellow and purple. The purple are my favorite. These are a bush bean variety, so they will produce for a limited amount of time.

And then we have my favorite... patty pan squash. When I was a kid I called it flying saucer squash. Whatever you call it, it is really yummy.

I had carrots and beets from my garden and wanted to roast them, but it was too hot. So I searched on the Internet and found a couple crock pot recipes. Thought I'd give it a try:




I cut up beets, carrots (both planted last fall), butternut squash (harvested last fall and stored in the garage), onions (harvested last week), garlic (harvested a few weeks ago from my backyard) and potatoes (store bought) into 2 inch chunks. Then I put in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, some salt and pepper and mixed it up. I added a couple tablespoons of water and topped it off with a sprig of dried rosemary (also from my garden), put the lid on and cooked on high for 2 hours and low for 8 1/2. It turned out pretty good!

No comments: