Saturday, January 5, 2008

Struggle with Time


It's amazing how when you put your main priority as time with the one(s) you love and the things that speak to your soul, how easy decisions are to make. Unless the thing you love to do takes you away from the one you love. David and I have made a conscious decision to spend as much time together as possible. We found each other in mid-life, and both of us realize that time is precious and limited. So when the choice is staying at work an extra hour to get one more thing done or to go home and be with David, the decision is easy. However......

I signed up for a pottery class today. Starting the end of January through the end of May, I will be in class two nights a week from 6:30 until 10:00 pm. So when you add in work, I will be away from David three nights a week. That's half. I struggle with that, yet I think taking the class is the right thing to do. I have been longing for a creative outlet and I think pottery is it. With knitting, you can make someone else's design, but with pottery - well - that's a whole different ballgame.

I've taken two other pottery courses, a throwing summer course in 2003 and a hand building course in 2006. Both I enjoyed. Playing in the mud, just getting my hands dirty, whether it be in the garden or with clay is so much fun. And centering. And a distraction. I hope this also adds balance to my life, although it will take me away from David 8 more hours a week.

Who knows where it will lead. This might take me down a different road as far as work, or it might remain a hobby. Yet I am open to anything... I am certainly looking for a way to find work that speaks to my soul and still allows me to financially contribute to this family. I still must pay for Jeffrey's college (he has another year and a half at least. Although David would gladly take on this expense, I would feel odd not supporting my own son), and I would like to pay my way. But that's another post.

No comments: