Thursday, September 1, 2011

There is more to a farm than tomatoes

It is interesting as I observe the pattern of the field. What turns ripe and must be picked, what can wait, what cannot. It's like it's own little symphony - with each section having it's own solo. Right now, it's the green beans that are having their moment in the spotlight.


I planted different types of beans. Three varieties of climbing green beans and several varieties of bush beans. Remember, this is a year of experimentation. I wanted to find out what works and what does not. What performs best. Since space is not an issue (yet), I decided to use as much space as I could.


Pole beans take some time to grow and are certainly more work as, well... you need to provide the poles for them to climb up. Bush beans - you just stick in the ground and they grow. But they have a limited life and if you want beans throughout the summer, you have to do some succession planting.


All in all, we have probably 65 feet of green beans planted. That's a lot. And now we are reaping the rewards. 57 pounds and counting. Right now it feels like a curse as we must process all of this. I am sure when there are no fresh beans on the vine, I'll be grateful for the canned and frozen beans, OUR beans grown in OUR field, that are in the pantry.

No comments: