Thursday, May 5, 2011

Your Peach on Drugs.......

This is your peach leaf:

This is your peach leaf on drugs (Not really.... but it looks really gross):

This is Peach Leaf Curl. Ugly. It's caused by a fungus and if it's really bad, can cause defoliation and a decrease in fruit production. I've picked off all the affected leaves and have put them in the city green waste can. They compost at a really high level of heat, so I am sure that will take care of the fungus. I'll spray my little tree in the winter with a copper spray (yes, it's organic) and see what next year brings!

3 comments:

Tony said...

Syd, I've seen really good effects from applying high nitrogen to promote vigorous leaf growth once you notice the leaf curl in spring.

Sydney said...

Tony!!!
How do you know all this??? You are a very smart guy.

Debbie said...

Once I picked off every leaf with fungus on it, the new leaves that grew in don't have any curl at all (knock on wood!) I think it's also helpful that the rain seems to have stopped.