Saturday, December 12, 2009

.... and then you make a pie!

In the last post, I showed you how to bake the pumpkin. Baking it is just like any other winter squash.... really easy!

After the Long Island Cheese was cooled, I scooped out the flesh... it separated from the skin very easily! Then I plopped it into bowl and put it in the fridge until I was ready to use it! I notices a lot of pumpkin juice rise to the top after I let it cool. I didn't incorporate that into the next step.






There was still some texture to the squash, so I put it in the food processor and pureed it. I wanted a smooth squash for my pie.





















Then, all you need is a crust








Some pumpkin, spices, sugar, egg and milk




















Put them all together and bake. And....










Voila!





Pumpkin pie! The thing that is a tad tricky (not really, but still.....) is that with canned pumpkin puree, there is a controlled amount of water content in the pumpkin. With fresh, you have to cook the pie until it is done. Which means you have to check.... a lot. Our pie ended up cooking longer than suggested.

No comments: