Saturday, November 7, 2009

Fifth Year Celebration



The Lovey and I went to Paso Robles/ Cambria to celebrate the 5th anniversary of us meeting for the first time. We had a great time doing a whole bunch of nothing. We looked out some houses (there is a nice possibility of a second home in San Miguel!), walked around town, saw some vineyards, took photos, bought some yarn (yeah, I know.... like I needed more yarn!), and basically just hung out.


One of the cool things we saw was a cutting horse auction. Across the street from where we stayed was the fairgrounds, and there was a LOT of activity going on there, so we snuck in to check things out. Because we snuck in, I didn't have my camera with me. Bummer! There were LOTS of horses (horses are really big. I know they are smart so when you add that to their size, well... I just think that I am outnumbered in size and smarts).




It was like going into another world. There were big rigs and fancy mobile home/ buses. License plates were from as far away as Utah. We were not properly dressed. EVERY man was wearing cowboy boots, pressed, long sleeve shirts, new jeans and a cowboy hat. Women were far more casual, but the boots and jeans seemed to be the common theme for them as well.



When we slipped into the auction area, we saw horses, that were, well.... they were doing ballet. These cutting horses, by not moving their back legs, can run in a circle. Both to the clockwise and counter-clockwise. It was quite beautiful. Although the auctioneer was difficult to understand (Hey hum a num a num a HA!), I think I heard these horses being sold for up to $10,000. I don't know if that's a bargain or not.


I like the unexpected and unplanned events of vacations. Every day life, for that matter. And mostly, I like being with the Lovey.

No comments: